Seeing as the January Cake Bag theme was Doughnut Party! I decided to have a little play around with one of the most exciting products inside; this super cute mini doughnut pan from Wilton!
Now doughnuts we all know and love are usually just covered in sugar or simply iced but I decided to make these along with a couple of more exciting toppings!
First, you need to make the doughnuts; so to make these you will need:
– 80g unsalted butter at room temperature
– 110g caster sugar
– 1 egg, at room temperature
– 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 185ml milk
– 500g self raising flour
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Cream the butter and sugar together in a free-standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or large bowl with a handheld mixer until it’s pale and fluffy. Add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract and milk and mix until well combined.
2) Sift in the flour and mix once more until it comes together to form a dough.
3) Spray the mini doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
4) Break off and roll the dough into small spheres and then make a hole in the centre and place in each cavity of the doughnut pan.
5) Bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes until risen and lightly golden.
Leave to cool. Then here’s the fun part! Decorating with all your toppings! You can really add anything you like at this stage but I went for a couple of traditional options sugar coated and icing topped with sprinkles!
To sugar your doughnuts; melt 100g butter. Dunk each donut into the butter then roll in caster sugar to coat!
To make an iced glaze:
– 185g royal icing sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
– pinch of nutmeg
– 2 tablespoons water
1) Mix all the ingredients for the glaze together until smooth and dip the tops of the doughnuts into the glaze.
2) You can even add a little gel food colouring to make lot’s of pretty coloured glazed doughnuts or leave it plain and add toppings!
I went for salted caramel popcorn with a drizzle of chocolate:
Rainbow Sprinkletti from Scrumptious Sprinkles! (Also included in January’s Cake Bag)
You can add any kind of sprinkles, popping candy, crushed oreo’s or chocolate chips or curls! Anything that takes your fancy!
I also topped some with Nutella and chopped hazelnuts. All you need to do is melt some Nutella in a heat proof bowl in the microwave for about 20 seconds (I did it in 10 second intervals to make sure it didn’t burn). Stir until smooth then dip the tops of your doughnuts into the Nutella and sprinkle over the chopped hazelnuts! Delicious!
As you can see, there are lot’s of different ways you can decorate these mini doughnuts to suit different tastes and fun treats to any party or dessert table!
We hope you enjoy creating these fun bitesize treats and look forward to seeing more of your delights on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter with the hashtag #cakebagcreations!
Here is all the items included in January’s Doughnut Party Edition:
February’s theme is Birthday party and includes 6 fun Party themed products! Head on over to the Peek Inside page to check out a couple of the products that are included!
Thirzah – Cakey Goodness xoxo